Department of Gastroenterology
The Gastroenterology Department offers treatment for patients suffering from Gastro Intestinal, Liver and Pancreato Biliary disorders. The department is well staffed with three qualified gastroenterologists offering specialised therapy.
Besides diagnostic UGI endoscopy & colonoscopy following therapeutic procedures are performed.
- Endoscopic control of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Endoscopic dilatation of strictures.
- Endoscopic placement of metallic stents in oesophagus, duodenum and colon.
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy.
- Endoscopic removal of foreign bodies.
- Endoscopic Drainage of Cyst in the pancreas.
- E.R.C.P, Endoscopic removal of stones from Bile duct, Pancreatic and Biliary stenting.
- Endoscopic polypectomy
The Department has state of the art diagnostic and diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy system. The endoscopy unit has dedicated support staff for its smooth functioning.
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology
The Department of Surgical Gastroenterology at KMC Hospital Ambedkar Circle Mangalore is unique in being the first of its kind to cater to the people of D.K.District of Karnataka & North Kerala. Till this time, patients were being referred elsewhere for treatment of such problems. The gamut of surgical problems tackled at this Department include :
- Upper GI: Transhiatal / Transthoracic Esophagectomy, Gastrectomy
- Colorectal: Total Mesorectal Excisions, Pouch procedures for Ulcerative Colitis, Sphincter saving operations for rectal cancer, Obscure GI bleeding
- Liver Resection, Portosystemic shunts
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple’s Procedure) for malignancies of Periampullary region and Head of Pancreas , Distal Pancreatectomy, Frey’s / Puestow’s Procedure for Chronic Pancreatitis
- Radical cholecystectomy for Gall Bladder, Liver & Bile duct resections for Bile duct tumours etc